Thursday, June 16, 2016

Sovereign of the Seas *Board game unboxing*


Players: 2-6
Original Publisher: LCRL '79
Current Publisher: Excalibre Games Inc.
Ages: 12+
Amazon Price: $29.95 +$5.99 Shipping and handling

The game shrink wrapped. 
I was digging the simple presentation.

I came across this game at my local Half Price Books store. The back of the box was just a blank white box, and for some reason that intrigued me to buy this game just see what the hell this game was all about. I'm always a sucker for board and card games, so i figured for $7.99 brand new I would be a sucker not to buy it. So this will be the unboxing of the game, ans as soon as I can convince my wife and/or wife to play this with me I will follow up with a review on how the game actually is. 

 This is what it looks like when you open it up. 

So upon opening it up for the first time, my initial thought was, "I am glad as hell I only paid $7.99 for this damn thing!". I started researching the game to get some info on it, and it turns out it was originally made in 1979. So maybe they were trying to keep it the exact same as it was created back then. 
 Classic dice and game pieces! 
I always love them, but usually just swap them out 
with pewter warriors and wizards. 

 Very simple cards as well. 
I think I could have printed up better ones on my old Lexmark!

Okay, so after seeing the classic pieces and cheap printed cards, I was starting to worry that I got swindled into buying what I thought would be a pirate game and instead got a box of pieces I already own and printer quality cards. So I put all that to the side and see the instructions along with cargo charts and a payoff chart! Okay, I'm back to being intrigued. I am going to be shipping goods to different ports around the world. But where is the game board?!

 The cargo and payoff charts, instructions, 
and what appears to be the game board. 

Okay we have a game board, but it is thin cardboard that fits together with six tiles. It was pretty cool once it was all placed together. I just wish that it was more durable. I can see it creasing up or the corners getting dinged up pretty easily. 

The map all assembled. 

So my overall feeling as of right now is that I got what I paid for. I checked Amazon to see what it was going for there and was shocked to see it was going for $29.95 +$5.99 Shipping and handling, so I was at least happy that I paid less than half of what it is selling for. I was unable to find out much more about this game online, so I will need to play this to see if it is actually fun or a waste of time. As soon as I am able to do so, I will post a full review. 

If you know about this game and want to pick it up cheap, run over to Half Price Books and grab one before they are gone. If you are a board game addict like I am get one just because it is so damn cheap. 

So until next time, DatBeardedBastard is out...



No comments:

Post a Comment